Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Recipe + 5 Things

Here is a quick one dish chicken meal that Nick and I both enjoyed.
Chicken, Quinoa and Spinach

Ingredients:
3 Chicken Breasts (I used boneless/skinless)
1/2 cup yellow onion
olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
about 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
3-5 cloves garlic (you can use less if you aren't a garlic lover)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 overflowing cup fresh spinach

1. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray or olive oil and sauté onion until translucent. Remove from pen a and set aside for later.
2. Add olive oil to the skillet and cook chicken about 4 minutes one each side. Remove the chicken and set aside for later.
3. Pour chicken broth, quinoa, basil, garlic, and onions into skillet, and stir. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa has absorbed the liquid.
4. Stir in spinach until wilted.

I served it with a side of broccoli!

As mentioned before, there were only a few things that I was able to cook when I moved out of the nest. One thing that I did learn from my mom was not to be afraid to try new recipes. I think my sister and I would agree that even if there are more bad than good recipe experiments, it is worth it when you can add something delicious to the monthly mix. Today's "Five things I love" is dedicated to my mama! Aside from all the typical things one might say about their mother....

1. She pushed me to try new hobbies (even if one included the flute!) Because of her I found a sport that I love and met some incredible people along the way.
2. She was not only my personal chauffeur, but my biggest fan. She spent countless hours in the car and away on weekends, so that I could play competitive volleyball. She drove me to clinics, practices, camps, tournaments, etc. Without her dedication and support I would not be the person that I am today.
3. She passed on the shopping addiction. I think maybe this is a love to hate her for that one! Trips out of town were always my favorite, because we would hit up whatever mall was in the vicinity and do some damage!
4. She is continuing to better herself into adulthood. Some people give up once they reach a certain age and don't really attempt to become a better person. I hope that I continue to grow, set goals for myself, and be open to changing my ways
5. She makes the best cookies (and tacos)! Oatmeal, chocolate chip walnut, etc....you name it she makes the perfect chewy yummy cookies!



No comments:

Post a Comment